We are delighted that the zoo is reopening on 8 February. Keeping our visitors and staff safe and making sure that everyone follows the official regulations are our top priority. The following measures are currently in place:
- Our daily opening hours are 9am to 5pm.
- The number of visitors permitted on site at any one time is restricted, due to the official limit of one person per 20m²: as a result, you need to purchase your ticket(s) online and book an admission slot in advance (you also need to book a slot if you have an annual pass). Click here to book
- You must also wear an FFP2 mask at all times in all parts of the zoo – including outdoor areas.
- Please make sure that you keep a distance of at least two meters from other visitors!
- The following indoor enclosures are open: Koala house, ORANG.erie, aquarium-terrarium, historic monkey house, giraffe park and Polardom (polar bear enclosure visitor center)
- Unfortunately, the following indoor enclosures must remain closed: panda house, elephant house, big cat house, South America house, bird house, hippo house, rainforest house, Tirolerhof, rat house. However, many of the animals can still be seen in their outdoor enclosures.
- The Desert House will open too.
- Takeaway snacks and drinks are available from the following locations: the ORANG.erie, next to the historic monkey house, next to the main children’s play area, the Tirolergarten, and from Friday to Sunday at the Kaiserpavillon. All other restaurants and food serving areas must remain closed.
- Commentated feeding times, guided tours and events are cancelled until further notice.
- The zoo shop at the Hietzing exit is open; official distancing rules etc. apply.
- The playgrounds are open.
- The petting zoo is closed.
- We are unable to offer handcarts for visitors to use.
- The riding paddock is also closed for the time being.
Which tickets are available online?
Day tickets for adults and children (6 up to 18 years) are available online. There are ticket offices at all three entrances (main Hietzing entrance, Tirolerhof, Neptune fountain) for purchasing other types of tickets (special tickets), and for people who do not have access to the internet.
Why do I need to book a slot to enter the zoo?
In addition to your admission ticket, you also need to confirm an admission slot online in advance: this guarantees – on the basis of the 20m² per person rule – that no more than 1,500 visitors are on the premises at any one time. Please be ready to show your ticket and admission slot booking, either on a print out or your mobile device. Booking for admission slots for the whole of February opens on Saturday February 6. Admission slots and tickets are not required for children under the age of six, as they enter the zoo at the same time as the adult ticket holder. You are welcome to stay until the zoo closes, irrespective of the admission slot you choose. The following admission slots are available:
- 09:00 – 10:00
- 10:00 – 11:00
- 11:00 – 12:00
- 12:00 – 13:00
- 13:00 – 14:00
- 14:00 – 15:00
- 15:00 – 16:00
- 16:00 – 17:00
Info for annual ticket holders
All annual tickets that were valid while the zoo was closed – i.e. the 97 days from 3 November to 7 February 2021 – will be automatically extend by 97 days from the date of expiry.
Holders of an annual ticket are also required to book a free admission slot here. Initially, slot reservations are available for admission in February only. Please be ready to show your annual ticket and admission slot booking at the entrance either on a print out or your mobile device.
Is my online ticket only valid for the specific day and specific admission slot?
If you do not use your admission ticket for the admission time specified, you will have to reserve another slot online. The ticket itself is still valid and can be used for the new admission slot.
I want to buy a ticket other than a day ticket (special ticket), what do I have to do?
The ticket desks at each of the three entrances to the zoo are open for sales of special tickets (annual tickets, combination tickets, family bonus tickets). If you book a free admission slot beforehand, you will be able to enter the zoo immediately after buying tickets.
I would like to use a voucher ticket (Ehrenkarte) to enter the zoo, what do I have to do?
If you have a voucher ticket, remember to book your free admission slot in advance. All you have to do is show the steward at the entrance your voucher ticket and admission slot (either on a print out or on your mobile device) and you can go straight in.
I would like to redeem a voucher for an annual ticket, what do I have to do?
You can redeem your voucher for an annual ticket at any of the ticket desks during their standard opening hours (9 am - 30 minutes before zoo closing time). Remember to book an admission slot in advance so that you can use your new annual ticket to get in to the zoo straight away.
What is the procedure for using my press credentials?
Journalists with a valid press pass also need to book an admission slot in advance.